Adjustment of Status through Marriage

Chicago Adjustment of Status through Marriage Immigration Lawyers

Adjustment of Status through marriage is an immigration process that leads to permanent residence status (green card) through marriage to a US Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident.  It is an immigration option if you are in the U.S. and wish to apply for a green card without leaving the country.

How to get a Marriage Green Card in United States

  • Foreign national who are married to a U.S citizen (in some cases a lawful permanent resident); and
  • physically present in the United States; and
  • were inspected and admitted or inspected and paroled into the United States; and
  • have a pending or approved immigrant visa such as an I-130 petitioned by your spouse;
  • are admissible to the U.S or inadmissible but eligible for an inadmissibility waiver or other forms of reliefs such as a U visa or VAWA.

Potential Adjustment of Status Issues for Marriage Green Card

There are many potential issues affecting eligibility to adjust status including:

  • Preconceived Intent Issues
  • Medical Issues
  • Criminal & Conviction Issues
  • Inspection Issues
  • Moral Turpitude Issues
  • Overstay and Unlawful Presence
  • Fraud Issues

Can I still adjustment my status via marriage if I overstay my visa?

 A common problem associates with marriage based adjustment of status application is that a person previously admitted into the U.S. on a valid visa or a visa waiver program and overstays their authorized date of visit or the I-94 expiry date. Generally speaking, Immigration and Nationality Act provides that persons staying longer than 180 days past their authorized date are subject to a 3 year bar or, if in excess of 1 year are subject to a 10 year bar upon departing the United States. The so-called 3 or 10 year bar means that once the  person accrues more than 6 months or 1 year of unlawful presence respectively and subsequently leaves the United States, he or she is not allowed to enter the United States until the 3 or 10 year bar ends. However, having an Immediate Relative sponsor such as a U.S. citizen spouse or a qualified U.S. citizen child, such violation can be forgiven if there is no departure following the accrual of unlawful presence, unless there are other inadmissibility issues involve.

 Benefits of Adjustment of Status within the United States

  • You do not have to depart the U.S. while waiting for your immigrant visa.
  • Processing time is often faster than going through the consular processing with the overseas consulate.
  • You are eligible to apply for a work authorization card while your adjustment of status petition is pending, allowing you to work within the U.S. legally.

Chicago Adjustment of Status through Marriage Lawyer

To obtain a permanent residence status (green card) through the adjustment of status process can be a complicated process, especially if there are detrimental personal or immigration history. If you are seeking for an experienced Chicago based immigration lawyer to guide and represent you and your spouse, please call (773) 687-0549 or contact Cipolla Law Group online for a consultation. We have over 30 years of collective experience helping foreign nationals to live legally in the United States. Our immigration attorneys speak Spanish, Italian, Chinese, French and Portuguese. We’re ready to assist you!

Contact Us

Chicago Immigration Lawyers