Filing your Social Security Card with Adjustment of Status

Adjustment of Status Social Security

On 8/09/2021, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced that those who apply for green cards within the U.S. will now be able to file for social security cards concurrently. If you’re applying for an adjustment of status based on marriage, family or employment, you will now be able to apply for your social security card at the same time. This is a huge time saver!!!

Time saver for Adjustment of Status Green Card Applicants

In the past, if you apply for a green card within the U.S., you would have to apply for a social security card separately at a social security office after your adjustment of status is approved. Although the adjustment of status application did ask whether you had a social security number but it did not offer the issuance of social security card within the same application. Effective August 8th, 2021, applicants for adjustment of status (green card application within the U.S.) will have an opportunity to apply for a social security card within the revised I-485 adjustment of status form. The updated form will ask whether the applicant was ever issued a social security card. It also asks whether applicant would like to apply for a new card or a social security card replacement. This is a huge time saver for both immigration attorneys and green card applicants.

Applying for Adjustment of Status

The process of Adjustment of Status typically takes between 8 to 12 months, depending on the basis of your application. At Cipolla Law Group, we have over 30 years of combined experience representing clients for their adjustment of status applications. If you’d like to know more about this green card process and whether you’re eligible to adjust your immigration status within the U.S. please call (773) 687-0549 for a consultation. Our immigration attorneys are located in downtown Chicago and Lincoln Park area. We speak Spanish, Chinese, French, Italian and Portuguese.