Student Visa IssuesF1 Visa & D/S Duration of Stay The US Consulate and/or USCIS will issue or change status to a F1 Student visa for Applicants that have the following:
- Maintain a Full Course of Study and are proficient in English;
- Have Sufficient Academic Credentials to attend a particular institution;
- Have been accepted by an approved school and have an I-20 issued by the approved school;
- Have a residence abroad, with no immediate intention of abandoning that residence;
- Intend to depart from the United States upon completion of the course of study; and
- Possess sufficient funds to pursue the proposed course of study.
OPT – Optional Practice TrainingStudents on F1 visas are generally eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) when:
- The applicant is a full time student for at least one academic year which is normally 8 to 9 consecutive months (unless a graduate student in a special program);
- The training is related to course of study of the F1 visa;
- The employment is for the purpose of practical training; and
- It is not for English language training.
- During student’s annual vacation and at other times when school is not in session;
- While school is in session as long as it does not exceed 20 hours per week;
- After completion of all course requirements;
- After completion of the course of study.